Wednesday, April 16, 2008

HOW'S YOUR FUTURE? posted by J

Last night I had nothing to do, well that's not totally true, there is always something to do. Anyway, I wanted to watch a movie. I just sent my Netflix movies back and i personally don't own that many DVDs anymore, and the ones i do own I have seen so many times I'm a little sick of them. Except this one that was shoved way down in this box in my room. I grabbed it and to my surprise it was something i haven't seen in a couple of years. "Awesome!", i thought, "I'll watch this."

The movie i found was a Orwellian tale of the future. The movie was George Lucas', THX 1138. A visual stunning masterpiece in my opinion. This tale of dystopian society was released in 1970 and was George Lucas' first feature film he directed. He wrote the story based on a short film he wrote while still a student. Released by Warner Brothers and Francis Ford Coppola's then new production company called American Zoetrope.


The story is about the future where drugs suppress real emotion and sexual desire. Not much is given to the viewer about how we got there or when it takes place. You kind of have to make what you can with the settings, mechanics, and colors, or there of. The plot is about a man, THX 1138, and his journey and discovering of his true feelings as a human being. His "mate" stops taking her regulated drugs and then starts to substitute his which brings on withdraw and then his awakening as a person and not a doped up worker ant.


I'm totally blown away by the visuals of this movie (especially considering the time it was made). White is everywhere. Everyone has bald heads. Robot police officers speak in well mannered and polite voices, while lacking real feeling. Hologram projections take the place of regular TV. Everything was about this bigger picture that is just suffocating and inhuman. The cinematography and set design is captivating.


If you enjoyed Brave New World or 1984, you will really enjoy this film. Go rent it.

No comments: