Thursday, April 3, 2008

DAN McCARTHY posted by J

If you know me you probably know that I'm just starting to work on some screen prints. I'm going to be doing art prints along with T-shirts and such. While doing my research I've come across many interesting artist and techniques in screen printing. It's a very diverse medium. One artist that really caught my eye is Dan McCarthy, a massachusett based artist. Also the drummer in The Helms. He designs the jackets for the Cd's which are all done by hand.

His work, which includes drawings, paintings, and silk screens, are all very design oriented. Very simple and incredibly complex at the same time. Common subject matter are landscapes, dinosaurs, skeletons, or a combination of all of those. Most of his pieces have a very northern midnight sky quality to them. Clear and crisp, no light pollution. All of his work as superb composition. Shadow plays a huge part as well, helping in transform the layers. He is able and much better than me to capture that winter, leafless, skyline I've always admired. I really enjoy the quiet, sweetness some of the pieces have. Others have a haunting, stalkerish feel, Like your seeing something you shouldn't or like your somewhere your not supposed to be.


I want to join his "Print Club". It's $300 for a year. You get 1 hand signed and numbered print of varying sizes a month. I really need to invest as soon as i can. If you really think about it, it's a quite an amazing deal. 12 prints for $300! Anyone Want to help me out? You can join at his website where you can see many more of his prints and drawings.
www.danmccarthy.org

No comments: